CommNexus Frequently Asked Questions
- What is CommNexus San Diego?
- Why did the organization change its name to CommNexus San Diego?
- What is the Mission of CommNexus San Diego?
- How does CommNexus San Diego accomplish its mission?
- What are SIG events?
- What are Headliners events?
- What is the Next Stage Program?
- How many companies does CommNexus represent?
1. What is CommNexus San Diego?
CommNexus San Diego, formally the San Diego Telecom Council, is a non-profit network of communications companies, service providers, and professional trade groups within the public sector. By introducing both national and international markets to the emerging technology of our region, CommNexus positions San Diego as a world center for innovation in communications. CommNexus' core programs, which include 60-70 networking and technical events a year, have formed a tight communications community. To assist in the continued growth of local businesses, CommNexus has formed alliances with international communications clusters and will expand its reach into additional technology hot spots within the United States.
2. Why did the organization change its name to CommNexus San Diego?
The organization changed its name to CommNexus for two reasons. In 2005, the organization conducted a survey of member and sponsor companies in the San Diego area and the results showed that the word "telecom" is limiting as a descriptor of the businesses the organization represents. Since 1998, the communications technology industry has evolved to more than the traditional "telecom" companies to include all technology that facilitates today's mobile devices and infrastructure such as; emerging wireless broadband technologies, security software, advanced semiconductors and antennae, mesh networks, storage of data, gaming, media content and applications, defense, and more.
Additionally, the goals and mission of the organization have evolved to meet the growing needs of San Diego companies. Today the organization's mission of growing San Diego's communications cluster is achieved not only by networking, but by facilitating access to capital and access to markets, wherever those markets may be. By forming international alliances with communications clusters in Europe and Canada, and expanding into other regions such as Orange County and Los Angeles, CommNexus San Diego is providing San Diego companies with new networks and introductions to multi-national businesses and investors.
3. What is the Mission of CommNexus San Diego?
CommNexus San Diego works to accelerate the formation, growth, and success of communications technology and service companies in the San Diego region.
4. How does CommNexus San Diego accomplish its mission?
- CommNexus San Diego facilitates business relationships. By linking SME's to multi-national companies and emerging to established technologies, CommNexus provides an opportunity for business relationships to prosper.
- The organization educates the San Diego community on technology trends, markets, and policies. Regularly scheduled Special Interest Groups (SIGs) and special events examine key issues in the communications technology community. CommNexus also hosts committees that work to affect positive change in the business environment.
- CommNexus showcases the region as a leading center for innovation. The organization attracts internationally recognized leaders in communication technology to San Diego and spotlights San Diego companies and innovative technologies in the media.
5. What are SIG events?
Special Interest Groups (SIGs) provide senior-level executives and technology engineers with a forum to exchange business and technology expertise, and to form pivotal relationships. CommNexus currently has over 20 focused groups to address industry issues including emerging wireless technologies such as WiFi, WiMax and Ultrawideband, CDMA, Mobile Wireless, Semiconductors, and Military applications.
6. What are Headliners events?
The "Headliners" events present a variety of broad-based communications topics including new and emerging technologies and trends, new market segments and business, and economic opportunities and challenges. The events, which are led by nationally recognized industry experts, attract crowds of 300-500 attendees.
7. What is the NextStage Program?
The NextStage Program exists to increase the number and magnitude of successful communications technology companies in the San Diego region. This program is designed to help entrepreneurs develop early-stage technology companies, by offering mentorting assistance in areas such as Fundraising, Marketing, Strategy and Management.
8. How many companies does CommNexus represent?
While CommNexus currently has about 120 paying members, the organization represents about 450 companies in the San Diego area. Additionally, CommNexus has a database of approximately 8,000 people who routinely get information about events and programs of interest to them.
back to top